How to put on cufflinks
Wear the correct shirt.
Cufflinks are most commonly worn with French cuff (also known as double cuff) dress shirts. This sort of shirt has extra long cuffs that fold back on the cuff material, creating layers. French cuffs don’t have buttons on the sides to connect the cuff. Instead, there are small holes on each side of the cuff, where cufflinks are added. Wearing cufflinks with this shirt means that the cufflink will be securing four layers of shirt fabric. This is a dressier look, and the most classic style of shirt to wear with cufflinks.
- Cufflinks can also be worn with single cuff shirts, the variety typically found at department stores. Wearing cufflinks with this style of shirt is a more casual look.
- If you are wearing a single cuff shirt, there is no need to fold back your cuffs.
- A single cuff shirt will not use the “kiss cuffing.” Instead, the two cuff edges overlap one another, making a barrel shape.
- Again, you can wear cufflinks with single cuff shirts, but it is considered to be a far more casual look. Traditionally, cufflinks are paired with French cuff shirts for formal occasions.
- For a single cuff shirt, align the cufflink holes by making the overlapping of the cuffs looser or tighter, until the holes match up.